Monthly Archives: April 2016
Welcome to the KSR After Show Big Blue Nation. We are here to discuss anything and everything that Kentucky Sports Radio gives us today. Since the guys are at Nutter Practice Facility for Kentucky Football practice, today we will surely have lots of football related topics to talk about, listen to some interviews from Coach Stoops and a couple players, and talk about an amazing NCAA Basketball Championship game last night. So let’s listen in to these things and more and discuss it here afterwards.
Remember to Call or Text the KSR After Show Hotline @ 775-583-7483 and leave us a voicemail or text and we will post it to the website for everyone to enjoy.
On Today’s KSR:
The NCAA Championship last night was an all-time great game. One of the best in recent memory.
So many big shots, great back and forth play, and great coaching specifically by Jay Wright to draw up some special plays at the end of the game to pull out the victory. Even without the Cats in it, it was a special game to watch and highly entertaining. It will definitely go down as one of the best of all time.
Kentucky fans are happy that North Carolina didn’t win.
I think there was one fan that Tweeted Matt yesterday saying he wanted UNC to win to keep all of the championships with the “blue bloods”, but I think most all of Kentucky fans were on the Villanova bandwagon last night and was happy they put down UNC. Cheaters never win and the ball don’t lie.
Villanova may be the first team in 30 years to win the title without a first round draft pick.
Drew Barker joins Matt and Ryan on the show.
- Accountability on and off the field is a big point of emphasis this year.
- The team is much more disciplined including himself.
- The offense is more of a Pro-Style Offense out of the shotgun.
- He does think of himself as the started but knows he has to work to keep it that way.
- Says the team has to learn how to finish.
Mark Stoops Joins the guys now.
- Says Drew isn’t worried about anything else but getting better and he is very pleased with Drew.
- The team will be more disciplined and accountable this coming year.
- He is seeing the team make more competitive plays than ever before.
- Andy Buh leaving was a set back but he is happy for him and knew it was the decision he had to make.
- The team is growing up and getting depth on offense.
- The team will be much more consistent at Wide Receiver and Tight End
- There is some inexperience on defense, but we are very talented.
- He feels good up front on defense other than producing pass rushers.
- But there have been some pleasant surprises in the pass rushing game.
- Kash Daniels is dinged up with a concussion right now, but he thinks Kash can contribute and play some this year.
- Says cornerbacks Chris Westry, Eric Betty and Mike Edwards have a chance to play on Sunday’s in the future.
- He appreciates all of the fan support, he knows it’s been frustrating but we need everyone on board to compete at a high level.
Next year’s college basketball season is set up to be a special year across the board.
Like Matt says, it kinda stinks that when it seems like Kentucky is going to have a great roster that the college basketball landscape is going to be greatly improved. Yet who really wants to be the best and not be able to go up against the best to prove
Yuo Ming, Shag, Allen Iverson, and Tom Izzo where inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame.
Allen Iverson apparently checked out Ryan’s wife at a Pacers game a while back, so Ryan isn’t a big fan of AI.
Garrett “Juice” Johnson joins Matt and Ryan.
- Lamar Thomas has some juice
- He respects coach Thomas even more after watching The U documentary.
- He says the drop balls where interpersonal last year, but that was last year.
- All of the receivers bring something different to the table.
- Drew Barker is more of a vocal leader this year.
- He really wants to beat Florida and Louisville.
- Asks the fans to bring energy to the Spring Game and all year.
Eric C. Conn is being investigated by the FBI for Social Security fraud in Eastern Kentucky.
Here is an article from the Herald Leader on the FBI investigation into Eric C. Conn.
Could the Jenkins shot help replace the Laettner shot even a little bit going forward on NCAA basketball broadcasts?
I doubt it, the networks will never stop showing the Laettner shot, but maybe it will help a little by the way of them playing the Paige and Jenkins shots a little more now.
Coach Stoops returns:
- Juice has taken on a leadership role.
- Recruiting has already started back up.
- They do their best to target and zero in on guys early in recruiting, and have done a good job.
- In between visiting with KSR he has been showing a recruit around campus. We obviously don’t know who yet.
- Coach has no doubt that we will get to where we want to be in football.
- The new facility is a game changer.
Thanks for joining us on today’s KSR After Show BBN, leave your comments here on the site or call/text the KSR After Show Hotline @ 775-583-7483 to continue the discussions! Have a great day guys and gals!
Welcome to the Monday April 4th addition of the KSR After Show. On the second bummer of a Monday after the Final Four and National Championship Day in a row the last two years. KSR is here to provide us with the pep in our step that we need. So let’s listen in as Matt and the gang let us know what’s going on in the world of Kentucky Athletics.
Don’t forget you can call or text the KSR After Show @ 775-583-7483 and let BBN know what’s on your mind. We will post all texts and voicemail’s to the website for everyone to enjoy!
On Today’s KSR:
Last night was a great night for tv, maybe the best all year so far.
Between The Walking Dead Season Finale, Wrestlemania, the Iheart radio music awards, and the ACMs everyone’s minds and DVRs we’re exploding trying to watch all of the good entertainment on television last night. I personally flipped back n forth from the awards shows until TWD season finale started. Then my eyes were glued to AMC until Negan bashed in my dome with Lucille.
Oklahoma’s loss to Villanova was the worse loss by a top ten team since 1949.
Watching the Oklahoma fans in attendance at this game was depressing. I can’t believe Oklahoma was able to put on such a poop show on Saturday, was impressive to watch on the Villanova side of things.
Ryan watched Once Upon a Time last night, Matt and Shannon watched Wrestlemania.
Matt says the main reason is likely that the games are on TBS instead of CBS this year, but the Kentucky and Duke effect is a major factor as well.
I think Ryan may be a little obsessed with Kacie McDonnell on the Villanova team stream.
I guess I can see why now, quite a beautiful women. Although Ryan is going to start some beef with Aaron Murray for himself or Matt if he’s not careful.
Shannon is as cold as Negan was on The Walking Dead Season Finale last night.
Eenie meanie miney mo..
Thon Maker is trying to enter the draft after his 5th year of “high school”.
Keep an eye on this because Thon and his entourage may have found a loop hole to go straight from high school/prep school to the NBA.
The guys at the Final Four broadcast sat Cal and Jim Calhoun next to one another during the show.
Someone was really trying to create some on air coach on coach drama, which is brilliant, but I don’t know that Cal nor Calhoun really appreciated it.
“How can you enjoy the highs if you don’t experience the lows too.” – Uncle Matt
Big Blue Madness Day?
I would love this, maybe not so much a parade but there are tons of other ideas that could make an all day BBM event pretty awesome.
The special announcement was Jamal Murray entering the draft.
Which the KSR gang let us know ahead of time that this was what the announcement would be. Watching and listening to Jamal and his dad was pretty special though. It was easy to see the bond they have and how proud they both where. Go get em Jamal! BBN will always have your back and root you on for many years to come.
How will Jamal Murray be remembered?
Sadly Matt is most likely correct in saying that Jamal’s amazing performance this year will be overshadowed and it really shouldn’t be. Only Dan Isle had more 30 point games in UK history than what Murray did this year. He was also the highest scoring freshman in UK history.
Who’s jerseys are you retiring from the Cal era, if you only get 4 choices?
I’m retiring Anthony Davis, John Wall, Tyler Ulis, and because he was a part of the turning point of Kentucky Basketball with John Wall that led to getting the rest of these guys, and he will most likely be an NBA Hall of Famer, my fourth is DeMarcus Cousins. Although it’s a tough discussion and there will need to be more spots open, has to be.
Send your condolences to Feddie Maggard BBN please, we all love ya Feddie hang in there buddy.
The BUZZ, not a certainty, that Matt is hearing is that Briscoe is likely to return, and Marcus Lee is likely to not.
So I’m curious if that means Marcus is likely to leave to go to the draft or transfer to another team.
This Monday show after the Final Four last year was the worst show of all time.
This time last year I didn’t listen to KSR for a week, and I run a website about KSR, so that should tell you something. Even if that something isn’t a good something.
The wall of Kentucky players in the NBA in the Joe Craft Center is a major recruiting tool.
I imagine everytime Coach Cal takes a potential recruit through there that he has to stop and tie his shoe right under all of the pictures.
A UofL fan threatened Sacha Killeya-Jones after seeing the L’s down photo by the new incoming recruits.
Here is an article from WDRB on the incident. What a tool, remember ladies and gents, think, read, rethink, and re-read before you Tweet.
And the Louisville fan base thinks Matt made it up to make them look bad.
Because Matt needs to do that…
Tomorrow KSR is live from Nutter and UK spring practice. They will be breaking down what they saw, getting us geared up for what’s to come, and possibly will have a few special guests in the form of players and coaches. Tune in at 10:00 am EST to hear all of these things and more! Remember to gather here afterwards and let your opinions be heard all across Big Blue Nation.
Here on April Fools Day, April 1st 2016, Matt and Drew are in studio and are not joking around. Ah who am I kidding, yes they are, but they are set up to bring us a good Friday show to get us ready for the weekend. On today’s show the guys will talk UK special announcement, recruiting, and anything in between. In the second hour Kyle Wiltjer will join KSR to talk about his career, selling t-shirts, and his upcoming autograph tour.
I invite you to CALL or TEXT The KSR After Show Hotline @ 775-583-7483 so that you can leave your comments on today’s topics. We will post your messages for all of BBN and the KSR Family to enjoy!
On Today’s KSR:
Matt and Drew hate April Fools Day.
I’m with the guys, maybe every now and again someone will come up with a pretty good prank. Although mostly its people who think they are funny being annoying.
UK has a press conference at 2pm for a special announcement.
Matt and Drew believe the announcement will be either Jamal Murray or Skal announcing that they are hiring an agent and putting their name in the draft.
The NCAA called South Carolina and told them they where in the NCAA Tournament, but they really weren’t.
That’s a big D move by the NCAA. Even if it was by mistake, it’s still a D move.
Matt is feuding with governor Bevin.
“Move along kids”
Drew says per sources he thinks Marques Bolden was a sure thing to Duke a month ago, but that he changed his mind between Duke and Kentucky every other day now.
Urban Meyer told Landon Young he was an inconsequential player going to an inconsequential school.
Another D move. I hope Coach Stoops is pissed about this.
Kyle Wiltjer joins KSR
- He thought he gave up BBN when he transferred. Was surprised to still have so much support from Kentucky.
- Sounds like the Championship ring is going on tour with him.
- The loss to Indiana really hurt but fired up the team.
- The guys knew what the Louisville game in the Final Four meant.
- Winning a Championship is the most satisfying feeling.
- The main reason Kyle decided to transfer was contrasting team playing styles.
- Anthony Davis is the best player he’s played with.
- Says maybe Harrison Barnes or a player from that UNC team where probably the best he’s played against.
- Kyle, Jared Polson, and Willie Cauley-Stein where good friends and called themselves the Goonies.
- He used to be a pitcher in baseball.
- Doron Lamb was the funniest teammate he played with.
- Alex was the smartest.
- Sam Malone would be his running mate if he ran for president.
- He would take Jared or Willie to Europe for a year with him.
- The Vandy loss was not on purpose, and “fueled the fire” going forward.
- He had a lot of mental what if’s during the redshirt year.
- Kyle will be trying to get with a team in the NBA, whether through the draft or not.
- Buy Kyle Wiltjer T-shirts at Throwboy Tees
- Kyle finishes his Masters degree next Saturday.
- He is interested in being a sports agent or starting a business after basketball.
Jay in Lyndon @kwiltj @KySportsRadio Lexington Girls vs. Spokane Girls? #BBN
Aaron Smith @KySportsRadio the kids could move along if their education was going to be better funded. #MoveAlongKids
Linda Brown @RobertCHughes @KySportsRadio @MattBevin Sir,I suggest you forget MJ & focus your energy on cleaning up corruption at #L1C8 #fraud #hookers
Dave Blue @KySportsRadio @DrewFranklinKSR @ryanlemond will be upset if you let Kyle go without the hair question.
Joe Sonka @KySportsRadio see if you can go for the 24-hour trifecta and get @realDonaldTrump to go after you.
nick day @KySportsRadio @kwiltj Sitting here at subway listening and when you said you hated UL the looks on the birds PRICELESS!! Welcome back to KY
Kyle Robinson @KySportsRadio My favorite goonies video – “All I want for Christmas is you” – with @kwiltj and @jpolson05 – Still makes me laugh..a classic
Cole @DrewFranklinKSR @KySportsRadio one time @kwiltj liked my tweet and I bragged about it for a week
Emmy Rae Rodgers @KySportsRadio Hey @kwiltj made being a slow ass honky look good! #BBN
Nick Isaacs @KySportsRadio Hey @kwiltj made being a slow ass honky look good! #BBN
Thank you Big Blue Nation for joining us on the KSR After Show today! Send in your comments and keep the conversations going! Have a great weekend!