Monthly Archives: March 2016
Let’s be real and admit for a moment that, while the 2015-16 Kentucky Basketball season was enormously satisfying at times, compared to our exaggerated expectations it will forever go down in history as an unsuccessful year. Rolling over Duke, and Louisville, watching Tyler Ulis and his masterful play, straining for Skal to evolve and become the player we egregiously expected him to be. Jamal Murray and his bow and arrows, every one of these things where incredibly pleasing to watch. Yet it’s hard not to feel like a lot of it was for just that, a little glimpse of unsustained satisfaction. Especially in the case of Jamal Murray. At least we had two years to marvel over Tyler’s play, four years to continue to believe in and encourage Alex Poythress. While it was an all-time great performance from Jamal, selfishly we only got one season to enjoy his greatness. Now the things we have to hold our hats on with several of the guys on this team, that we will all miss, is watching and rooting for their individual growth and success in the NBA.
So to continue to ease the pain of an early tournament exit, let’s take a look at the real reason why we get any of these amazing players, and why it’s important to keep any negative disappointed thoughts into perspective. We sometimes need to remember all of this isn’t about our wants and goals, it’s about the goals and dreams of these kids. So on the request of a KSR After Show reader let’s take a look at who will most likely be fulfilling their dream and entering the league this year from the Kentucky roster. Then break down the success of each player in the Calipari era whom are already living out their dream.
Current Players Draft Projections
I’ve been checking up on all of the major mock draft websites and have recently seen Tyler as high as 16th and 17th to the Utah Jazz or Indiana Pacers, and as low as 33rd to the Phoenix Suns. Will Brad Stevens and the Boston Celtics really let 4 picks go by with Tyler still on the board? I don’t know, but I personally hope the Pacers pick him at 17 and don’t give them to many chances.
The position the Blue Arrow is in on the draft board is pretty awesome for him and for Cats fans. He has been projected anywhere from 3rd to 7th, which is obviously a great place for him to be financially and to start his professional career. Though it’s also a great place for him to be for Kentucky fans. The teams slotted 3-7 are:
- 3. Phoenix Suns or the Kentucky Suns
- 4. The up and coming Boston Celtics with coach Brad Stevens and Isaiah Thomas.
- 5. Minnesota Timberwolves with Karl Towns and Andrew Wiggins.
- 6. New Orleans Pelicans with Anthony Davis.
- 7. Sacramento Kings with DeMarcus Cousins and Willie Cauley-Stein.
I would be excited to see Jamal with any of these teams, and I’m sure he will be as well.
I’ve noticed Skal being projected at spots around the 12-17 range, where there are a few of those interesting teams that could end up being a destination for Skal as well. Including Phoenix, Boston, Chicago, Utah, and Indiana. While the other 4 teams would be great, Skal having a mentor like Pau Gasol in Chicago could prove to be critical to his development.
Isaiah Briscoe/Alex Poythress/Marcus Lee/Derek Willis
Unfortunately none of these guys have yet to break into any mock drafts to this point. So if they are wanting to make the leap, they will need to rely on great NBA Combine performances, team workouts, and hope to sneak in on someones board, or go undrafted and get picked up by a team afterwards.
Former Kentucky Players of the Calipari Era’s NBA Success to Date (3/31/16)
- Drafted: 2010 Round 1, Pick 1 by Washington Wizards
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $53,569,075
- John Wall Career Stats (ESPN)
- Currently the Star Starting Point Guard for the Washington Wizards.
- Drafted: 2010 Round 1, Pick 5 By Sacramento Kings
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $45,690,236
- DeMarcus Cousins Career Stats (ESPN)
- Currently the Star Center for the Sacramento Kings
- Drafted: 2010 Round 1, Pick 18 by Oklahoma City Thunder
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $33,604,069
- Eric Bledsoe Career Stats (ESPN)
- Currently a Star Point Guard/Shooting Guard for the Phoenix Suns.
- Drafted: 2010 Round 1, Pick 14 by Houston Rockets
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $20,702,871
- Patrick Patterson Career Stats (ESPN)
- Currently an essential role player at Power Forward for the Toronto Raptors.
- Drafted: 2010 Round 1, Pick 29 by Orlando Magic
- Currect Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $3,259,543
- Daniel Orton Career Stats (ESPN)
- Lasted played Center for the Philadelphia 76ers in 2013-14.
- Drafted: 2011 Round 1, Pick 8 by Detriot Pistons
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $24,589,677
- Brandon Knight Career Stats (ESPN)
- Currently a Star Point Guard for the Phoenix Suns
- Drafted: 2011 Round 1, Pick 3 by Utah Jazz
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $34,503,097
- Enes Kanter Career Stats (ESPN)
- Currently a major contributor at Center for the Oklahoma City Thunder.
- Drafted: 2011 Round 2, Pick 53 by Orlando Magic
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $485,227
- DeAndre Liggins Career Stats (ESPN)
- Last played Shooting Guard for the Miami Heat in the 2013-14 season.
- Drafted: 2011 Round 2, Pick 45 by New Orleans Pelicans
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $381,193
- Josh Harrellson Career Stats (ESPN)
- Last Played for the Detriot Pistons at Center in the 2013-14 season.
- Drafted: 2012 Round 1, Pick 1 by New Orleans Pelicans
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $23,198,010
- Worth noting that by the end of Davis’ current contract with the Pelicans in 2021 his estimated career cash earnings will reach: $143,700,610
- Anthony Davis Career Stats (ESPN)
- Currently the Starting Star Power Forward for the New Orleans Pelicans.
- Drafted: 2012 Round 1, Pick 2 by Charlotte Bobcats
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $20,760,923
- Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Career Stats (ESPN)
- Currently the Star Starting Small Forward for the Charlotte Bobcats.
- Drafted: 2012 Round 1, Pick 29 by Chicago Bulls
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $3,052,640
- Marquis Teague Career Stats (ESPN)
- Last played Point Guard for the Brooklyn Nets in 2013-14.
- Drafted: 2012 Round 1, Pick 18 by Houston Rockets
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $7,145,049
- Terrence Jones Career Stats (ESPN)
- Currently a major role player at Power Forward for the Houston Rockets.
- Drafted: 2012 Round 2, Pick 42 by Milwaukee Bucks
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $915,243
- Doron Lamb Career Stats (ESPN)
- Last played Shooting Guard for the Orlando Magic in 2013-14.
- Drafted: 2012 Round 2, Pick 46 by New Orleans Pelicans
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $1,662,476
- Darius Miller Career Stats (ESPN)
- Last played Small Forward for the New Orleans Pelicans in 2014-15.
- Drafted: 2013 Round 1, Pick 6 by New Orleans Pelicans
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $9,945,240
- Nerlens Noel Career Stats (ESPN)
- Currently a Star Power Forward for the Philadelphia 76ers
- Drafted: 2013 Round 1, Pick 29 by Oklahoma City Thunder
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $3,336,840
- Archie Goodwin Career Stats (ESPN)
- Currently a role player at Shooting Guard for the Phoenix Suns.
- Drafted: 2014 Round 1, Pick 7 by Los Angeles Lakers
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $6,129,600
- Julius Randle Career Stats (ESPN)
- Currently a rising Star Power Forward for the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Drafted: 2014 Round 1, Pick 17 by Boston Celtics
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $3,424,320
- James Young Career Stats (ESPN)
- Currently a role player at Shooting Guard for the Boston Celtics.
- Drafted: 2015 Round 1, Pick 1 by Minnestoa Timberwolves
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $5,703,600
- Karl-Anthony Towns Career Stats (ESPN)
- Current Star Starting Center for the Minnesota Timberwolves.
- Drafted: 2015 Round 1, Pick 6 by Sacramento Kings
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $3,398,280
- Willie Cauley-Stein Career Stats (ESPN)
- Current up and coming role player at Center for the Sacramento Kings.
- Drafted: 2015 Round 1, Pick 12 by Utah Jazz
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $2,239,800
- Trey Lyles Career Stats (ESPN)
- Currently a role player at Power Forward for the Utah Jazz.
- Drafted: 2015 Round 1, Pick 13 by Phoenix Suns
- Current Estimated Career Cash Earnings: $2,127,840
- Devin Booker Career Stats (ESPN)
- Currently a major contributor at Shooting Guard, and up and coming Star for the Phoenix Suns.
- Drafted: 2015 Round 2, Pick 44 by Phoenix Suns was traded to the Memphis Grizzlies and is not playing with their D-League affliate.
- Drafted: 2015 Round 2, Pick 48 by Oklahoma City Thunder
Current Total Estimated Cash Earnings of NBA Players from the Calipari Era at Kentucky: $309,824,849
It’s the last day of March, and Kentucky Sports Radio is here to usher our favorite time of year out the door. While it is time to shake the rest of the bitterness off and move on to bigger and better things, it is a bit sad to see March go. Regardless, the KSR gang is always there for us, and they never fail to keep our minds occupied in the most ridiculous manner possible. So let’s listen in and see what’s on the docket for today, then we will continue to discuss it all here.
Remember you can always CALL or TEXT the KSR After Show Hotline @ 775-583-7483 if you didnt get into the show, or if you just want to get your own thoughts out there. We will post any voicemails and texts to the website for all of BBN and the KSR Family to enjoy!
On Today’s KSR:
Ryan and Shannon need to stick up for themselves with the brass.
Come on guys, you have Matt’s support and all of BBN and the KSR Family know how essential both of you are to the show. So have a little more confidence and know your worth.
Matt’s favorite time of the day is the hour before it gets dark.
We love ya Matt, but is anyone else with me that is felt like kind of an old man statement? “Eh I love a takin my walks right before dark, then I go home take ma pills get ma newspaper and do ma crosswords before bed.” I’m just kidding Matt, I know the time of day your talking about, and it is nice, especially in the spring and fall.
Someone yelled at Matt for a tree that wasn’t in his yard.
The Mcdonalds All-American Game was last night.
- Bam Adebayo was a beast, he had 16 points 12 rebounds.
- Malik Monk won the 3 point contest, but went 0-4 from three in the game.
- DeArron Fox is a great passer.
- Sacha Killeya-Jones is further along than we thought.
They also did this, so I offically love em all.
Derek Willis may be essential to next years team as well.
Next year’s team with these new guys coming in is going to be super athletic, and will on most occasions be able to score at will. Yet in the event that they are being pushed out of the lane, having a bad night, or just because they are playing team ball and drive and kick. Derek Willis will be waiting on the wing and corners again next year to knock down treys just as he was this past season.
The 1966 National Championship Game between UK and Texas Western aired last night for the first time in its entirety.
It was awesome to see for awhile, but I agree with Matt that is was hard to watch after awhile.
North Carolina fans argue that you can’t punish the basketball program because their whole school is corrupt.
Well that speaks for itself doesn’t it? these UNC fans need to shut up before they get put into the Louisville fan club.
Ohio State’s Daniel Giddens says he is looking to transfer to Kentucky.
Is Kentucky looking to bring you in though Mr. Giddens? I’m not so sure, having to sit out next year he would be a part of the 2017-18 team and Matt says that recruiting class is loaded with big men. Plus we already have several big men projects in Tai Wynyard, and Isaac Humphries. Not to mention the big guys coming in this year, so I feel like this guy is pulling a Calipari and just trying to get his name out there. Which I can’t crush the guy for, but I dont see him in Kentucky blue anytime soon.
People used to wear suits to a basketball games.
You mean people didn’t always do this at games?
KSR Definitions of the day
- Narrow Crotch Angle: the angle measured from the trunk of a tree to the upper surface of a branch.
- Paraboloid: parabolas
Matt’s Twitter Mentions
Andrew Shephard Thanks to @KySportsRadio I’m looking up genteel, I get it, this is a teaching episode. Trees and words on the menu today
Chris @tanookibutt @KySportsRadio nice of Brendan Dassey’s mother to call in about pear trees
Shaun Johnston I think people are forgetting just how good Briscoe is at getting to the rim. With this team coming in he can flourish. @KySportsRadio
Bucky Small Hooves @KySportsRadio That smell in the air is the Bradford Pear tree? I figured someone cracked the windows at Minardi Hall.
Carrie Cox Does @KySportsRadio just have a face that says, “Please start a fight with me”? Sure makes for entertaining radio.
John Robic’s Hair Based on the smell, maybe Louisville should rename Manardi Hall – Bradford Pear Tree Hall @KySportsRadio @ryanlemond @ShannonTheDude
Thank you all for joining us here at the KSR After Show, don’t be shy share your thoughts on the KSR After Show Hotline @ 775-583-7483 and we will post your voicemails or text messages to the site for all of BBN and the KSR Family to enjoy and send their replies to! Have a great day Big Blue Nation!
On today’s Kentucky Sports Radio Matt, Ryan, and Shannon are in studio to bring us all of the information on the Cats that we have on our minds and want to discuss. It was a jam packed show with lots of great callers, fun hypotheticals, and an off beat Ryan. So let’s continue the talking points here on the KSR After Show!
If you would like to get your own thoughts out to all of BBN and the KSR Family, give us a call and leave a voicemail, or send us a text on the KSR After Show Hotline @ 775-583-7483 and we will post your message or voicemail for everyone to hear or read!
On Today’s KSR
Are you over the loss to IU already? Why was it easier this year?
After losing to Indiana, I took the rest of the weekend off from basketball, I didn’t want to see any of it. Come Monday morning during the KSR following the game I was over it already. I think it took until Jamal Murray’s decision press conference for me to completely get over the Wisconsin loss a year ago, but why? For one personally this year living in Indiana, I didn’t want Hoosier fans to have the satisfaction of knowing I was still upset about it. Then two I believe once we all saw the bracket and know what the Cats would have to do, who they would have to beat, our expectations dropped a little knowing how this team had played throughout the year. A year ago everyone thought Kentucky would go 40-0 and win the title, so it was just a lot more devastating.
UK’s historic team last year was the second best team to not win a title. Only behind the infamous UNLV team.
It really stinks that this is how last years team will be remembered. While true and a solid ranking, it just stinks for those guys and Coach Cal.
Tom Crean wears mom jeans.
Tyler Ulis became the 21st consensus 1st team All-American at Kentucky yesterday.
Swaggy P told D’Angelo Russell that he cheated on Iggy Azalea, and Russell video taped it. Then released the video tape.
I think Matt enjoyed saying Iggy and Swaggy a little much.
If Cal is here 5 more years but doesn’t win another title, will his tenture be considered a success?
Even if we don’t win another title, you know we are going to be there every year with a chance at one or more, and I’d assume make several more Final Fours. I’d take that all day as opposed to the opposite scenerio’s that could be reality without Cal.
Would you rather keep Cal another 5 years, or go 40-0 last year then Cal goes to the NBA?
Travis Ford gets the Heaf Coaching job at St. Louis.
I’m glad he found another Head Coaching job, but I’m bummed for Travis. I always want him and his team to do well.
The McDonald’s All-American Game is tonight. Coverage starts at 9:00pm on ESPN.
We as fans don’t live in the moment and appreciate what we have enough, expect to much, and look forward to next year way to quickly.
Matt breaks down what Kentucky’s team could look like next year.
On paper it sounds awesome! Maybe special awesome again, but sticking with the let’s not get ahead of ourselves theme. Let’s take a step back, wish these kids well throughout the summer, and root them on from a far until they get on campus. Or let’s keep over analyzing every little thing and get so excited that we are let down by Decembet, it’s more fun that way anyway!
The 1966 Title Game between UK & Texas Western is being played for the first time in its entirety tonight at 7:30 on ESPN.
Ryan quote of the day: “I can’t force it to come out of my mouth”
The Lakers need Servpro.
Specifically DeAngelo Russell may need the disaster clean up team in his life.
Ryan is a total negative Nancy today.
Jim Nantz likes burnt toast, and while traveling he carries a picture of burnt toast to show waiters and waitresses at restaurants of how he wants his toast.
Bam Adebayo is being compared to Shawn Kemp.
Matt says we will hear this comparison a lot while Bam is here because he dunks on fools heads like Kemp used to. Kemp was a beast so let’s hope so!
Matt’s Twitter Mentions
Jeffery Pope Breaking news: Louisville confirms D’Angelo Russell is Matt Jones’ mole. @KySportsRadio
Andrew Boggs @KySportsRadio I’m doing homework in the computer lab listening to the show while Reba’s fancy is playing in the background.
Robby C. @DickieV @UKCoachCalipari @KySportsRadio . That’s gonna be one nasty back court. I’d dare to say maybe the best ever at UK.
John 230620 @KySportsRadio You should have given the guy from Korea the “Wendy’s call of the day”
John Robic’s Hair For the people saying “only titles make me happy” – they’ve been mad for 105 years & happy only 8 years @KySportsRadio @ryanlemond
Bucky Small Hooves @KySportsRadio I always figured that pic in Jim Nantz’s wallet was a Phil Simms snapchat that he screen grabbed
Dawson Rule Anyone hear me on KSR today?? I know @KySportsRadio @ryanlemond @ShannonTheDude did!
Wildcat Chris Lewis On the @IAmBam13_ Shawn Kemp talk. He has potential to be one of the best. B one of my favs next year @KySportsRadio
Thank you for joining us here on the KSR After Show! We would love to hear from all of you with your thoughts on today’s topics. Don’t forget tonight on ESPN starting at 7:30 is the 1966 NCAA Championship Game, followed by the McDonald’s All-American game that will feature several incoming Cats. Also tune in to KSR tomorrow at 10am EST and the KSR After Show here directly after the show. Have a great day BBN!
Listen in here to a voicemail from Radio Ron to Alex Poythress, KSR, and BBN.
Thanks Radio Ron!
Send us your voicemail or text @ 775-583-7483 just like Radio Ron did and we will post it for everyone to enjoy!
Welcome to the Tuesday March 29th addition of Kentucky Sports Radio, and the KSR After Show! Today the guys are in Lexington to bring us a fun filled show that will include everything we need to know about Kentucky athletics and much more. They will also be joined in the second hour by our favorite Senior Alex Poythress. He will be talking about the season, his UK career, the upcoming autograph tour, and will be taking calls from BBN. So be sure to get in early if you want to talk to Alex!
Give the KSR After Show a shout on the KSR After Show Hotline @ 775-583-7483 and leave us a voicemail or text message and it will be posted on the website for all of BBN and the KSR Family to hear or read!
Matt’s moral quandary: He bought a guy a pack of cigarettes at the gas station that was searching through the cigarette butt tray outside. Should he have?
Eh, I personally think this comes down to your own personal thoughts on cigarettes and smoking in general. Matt did a nice thing regardless of what he was giving to the guy, but if you dont agree with smoking at all then your going to think he shouldn’t have bought the guy a pack of cigarettes. If you dont mind either way then it’s just a nice gesture. If he would have lectured the guy, then it would have been just as bad as Coach K telling Dillon Brooks that he is better than that and shouldn’t show boat at the end of the game. Even if you do feel bad about it Matt because it was cigarettes that you gave the man. It was still a tally on the good deed side of things, and from yesterdays show we all know that we should always have our good deeds outweigh the bad.
Matt’s opinion on the Marques Bolden recruitment:
Bolden is down to UK, DUKE, and TCU. For the longest time the thought was that Kentucky was a sure thing, although yesterday all of the recruiting talking heads flipped to Duke, and Drew Franklin gave Matt some information yesterday that was convincing on the Duke side as well. The feeling is that his family wants him to go to Duke, and generally the family wins out. The Kentucky guys at the All-American game with Bolden this week have some work to do it sounds like to get Marques in Lexington alongside them next season.
Matt needs an oil change. Every time we change presidents Matt changes his oil.
Can Tai Wynyard play here? It was said that Humphries is FAR ahead of Wynyard.
Yeah even if Wynyard does improve over the summer, next year’s team is full of big guys with A LOT of talent. So hopefully not, obviously we dont want to push anyone out. Yet if he doesn’t get significantly better he could be one of the players that could be on the outside looking in when it comes to playing time and roster spots on the team we will likely see next season.
The ratings for the NCAA Tournament are 25% lower than last year, because the games are on TBS insteand of CBS, and because Kenutcky and Duke are no longer in the tournament.
It’s not all on Kentucky of course, but this just further proves the wide range of Big Blue Nation and I think its awesome. Like Matt said, it does make you wonder if the NCAA Committee regrets sticking with the bracket that they ended up coming out with this year. Even if there isn’t a conspiracy within picking the tournament matchups, maybe in the future they should look at it and consider things a little further than they seemingly do.
- Last years NCAA Tournament ratings where the highest since 1993 with undefeated Kentucky playing.
Alex Poythress joins KSR:
- The Alex Poythress 22 Tour is filled with 20 stops and will be going everywhere around the state.
- Things happened in the Indiana game, missed shots, free throws, missed assignments, that led to the loss.
- This team is really close and is always together.
- Memphis and Florida where his other 2 college choices, he felt like after Big Blue Madness that Kentucky was the place for him.
- His sister also came to Kentucky with him.
- Academics do matter to Alex.
- Alex felt the love from BBN during Senior Day.
- Aaron almost made him cry in the video on Senior Day.
- Even when Nerlens went down in 2012-13 they still believed they could win.
- They played to win at Robert Morris but it’s hard to get excited for an NIT game.
- The South Carolina loss was the turning point in the 2013-14 season.
- Louisville does matter to the players, and coaches.
- The players can tell that Calipari wants to beat Louisville more than other teams.
- Dakari Johnson did not want the ball in the Wisconsin game in 2013-14 at the end before Aaron hit the shot.
- Alex does not regret coming back each year.
- The bahamas trip was the best trip of his life. (so far)
- He wore 22 because his dads football number was 22.
- The National Championship game was his favorite moment.
- The team heard about the Rex Chapman tweet AFTER the game.
- Alex thinks Cal may retire here. (Wasn’t definitive of course)
- The first open practice he saw Tyler Ulis play well and knew he would be good.
- Tyler did stand up to Demarcus Cousins over a foul on Jahlil Okafor.
- Alex felt for Isaac Humphries at the end of the Texas A&M game, but told him it was ok.
- Coach Cal expected the best from him and knew he loved him even though he was hard on him.
- The players always make fun of Cal in practice.
- Alex couldnt believe Drake was in the warm up line, and shot around with them. But it was cool at the same time.
- Alex’s favorite place to eat is Loco Taco
- Trey Lyles was the funniest player that Alex played with.
- Wille would be his running mate if he was running for President
- WCS was also the most interesting person to talk to during his time at UK.
- He recieved a degree in business marketing at Kentucky.
- He was proud of Derek Willis this year.
- He enjoys playing the 4 position more than any other position.
- Alex mentioned Rudy Gay and Kahwi Leonard’s playing style as players in the NBA that he admires, but also says when you are out on the court “you just be you.”
- He thanks Big Blue Nation for supporting him throughout his career.
Here is the Alex Poythress The 22 Tour Schedule
Matt’s Twitter Mentions (during the show)
Sam Mattox Great show from @KySportsRadio today! Gonna miss @AlexTheGreat22 big time! #BBN #RoarFor22
UKsportsPrincess @AlexTheGreat22 @KySportsRadio I knew @ remotes Matt stood up I had no idea he did in the studio TOO #TooFunny #GoodLuckAlex #WeAreUKStill
Amy Knipp @KySportsRadio wish you could get @AlexTheGreat22 to do a Shari’s Berries ad
Hannah Avocado @ryanlemond @KySportsRadio ask Alex about working at Wendy’s in high school and hating making the wraps… -Hannah Letourneau
Hannah Avocado @ryanlemond @KySportsRadio also ask about him signing our precalculus homework with his signature so I could sell it when he was famous
Joe Raley Great hearing @AlexTheGreat22 on @KySportsRadio . One of the best representatives #BBN has ever had. THANK YOU
John Ellis @KySportsRadio @AlexTheGreat22 You’re in the dictionary under Student / Athlete.
kelly jo smith Completely agree with @KySportsRadio. @AlexTheGreat22 is what basketball is and should be all about. Nothing but best wishes for you!
Linda Brown @ryanlemond I think Coach Cal first said this, but it sounds like @KySportsRadio
pizza won’t divorce you
pizza won’t betray you
pizza won’t cheat on you
pizza won’t fight with you
why don’t people just marry pizza
Ryan Lemond He’s here! @AlexTheGreat22 getting ready for @KySportsRadio https://t.co/tfcpO3naO3
@bbn#9 @KySportsRadio use your “throaty gargling voice” when you introduce Alex
J. Kyle Mann @KySportsRadio a dude at Bardstown road Kroger yelled at me for offering him food one time… some dudes just want to get drunk
StuffRyanLemondSays @ryanlemond quote of the day. “Homeless people irritate me.” @KySportsRadio @ShannonTheDude
Billy Moss @jackiesuelong @KySportsRadio @ShannonTheDude @ryanlemond Matt did you call him like, “hey smoker” ?
Bucky Small Hooves @KySportsRadio Recruiting analysts need to remember that if Bam Adeybayo tells you to go somewhere, you should probably go there
Drew Franklin @KySportsRadio When was your last oil change? I’ll hang up and listen.
Colton Covington @KySportsRadio it’s not like you bought him crack. You did the right thing
Andrew Cassady @KySportsRadio Matthew Jones 25:35 For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was feigning, and you bought me a pack of cigs
Thank you Big Blue Nation for joining KSR and here at the KSR After Show to discuss everything on the show today! I would love to hear from all of you and put your thoughts and opinions out there. If you have any comments or messages for us, KSR, and/or Alex Poythress about todays show. Call or Text the KSR After Show Hotline anytime today @ 775-583-7483 and we will post them all on the site for Matt and the gang, hopefully Alex, and all of BBN to hear or read! Have a great day BBN! Roar for 22!
What kind of Kentucky fan are you? Have you been a lifelong fan? Where you converted at some point and for some reason in your life? Or have you only recently considered yourself a part of BBN? Why are all thing Kentucky important to you? What’s your story and answer to these questions? I, and I believe the rest of Big Blue Nation would love to know how you became and will always continue to be a part of the BBN and KSR family. Maybe you are regular KSR caller Harold, or Chester, possibly John Short? Are you “Bucky Small Hooves” or “John Robic’s Hair”or “Fake Barney” on Twitter? I would love to hear from any of you, even if your not a regular participate in the discussions on Kentucky Sports Radio. If you have an interesting story at all involving Kentucky athletics or KSR, I would like to do a profile on your story and allow myself and the rest of BBN to get to know you.
So if you do play an active roll within Big Blue Nation and the KSR family, and are willing to share your story, email me at:
I look forward to speaking with all of you and getting your story out there for everyone to enjoy! Thank you in advance to any of you that decide to reach out, I will personally respond to all emails. Thanks BBN!
On a Monday after a weekend of College Basketball absent the Cats, it’s hard to stay engaged, trust me I know. Kentucky Sports Radio is here though to keep us entertained and to let us know what’s been going on all weekend with Kentucky athletics and around the nation. Let’s listen in and discuss it all here afterwards!
Remember you can CALL or TEXT The KSR After Show anytime @ 775-583-7483 and we will post any messages and voicemails for all of Big Blue Nation to enjoy and send in their replies to.
On today’s KSR:
Matt interviews Randall Cobb for The Matt Jones podcast today.
Alex Poythress will be on the show tomorrow at 11am.
It’ll be awesome to hear Alex address BBN, take some calls with Matt, and most likely find out where he will be signing autographs this summer.
Kyle Wiltjer will be on the show Friday also at 11am.
I think it’s great that Kyle is coming back to the Bluegrass to do an autograph tour, Kyle will always be a part of BBN and fans love him and will show up, so that’ll be pretty awesome. I can’t wait to hear what he has to say on KSR Friday.
The Kentucky women blew a big chance on Friday.
How the women’s tournament unfolded the lady hoops team would have had the easiest run to the Final Four and/or Championship game that they could have even ever wished for. Their route would have included Washington, Stanford, and Syracuse all played in Lexington. Unfortunately the girls and Coach Mitchell couldn’t get it done against Washington.
The Men’s Final Four is set.
Oklahoma vs Villanova
UNC vs Syracuse
What a boring, crappy Final Four, to me anyway, and unless Buddy Hield goes bananas UNC will likely run away with the title.
The Syracuse vs UNC Final Four game will be the academic scandal game.
No school books needed here.
Sounds like Matt was at an interesting gala this weekend.
UK Men’s baseball team beat Florida the #1 team in the country, 2 out of 3 games in their series this weekend.
The Men’s baseball team has beaten the #1 team in the country for three straight years now.
Let’s hope that the baseball teams recent success will continue throughout the summer.
Coach Cal was at the Indiana State Championship to watch Romeo Langford.
Langford still has two years of high school left, but apparently he is gaining interest from all of the big schools and Coach Cal is already hot on the trail hoping to get Romeo to Lexington.
What happens at 21 C stays at 21 C.
Kevin Stallings is out at Vanderbilt, in at Pitt. Will Wade at VCU is being thrown around as a replacement
Calipari is now the second longest tenture coach in the SEC at 7 years behind Andy Kennedy.
Well, hopefully before to long Cal with be here long enough to top that list.
“A rule without a punishment is not a rule.” – Uncle Matt
Rick Stansberry was hired as the head football coach at Western Kentucky.
“If your good enough your big enough.”
Kentucky football got a huge commitment this weekend from Javonte Richardson.
He is the second highest recruit UK has ever been able to get out of state. Ranked 84 in America. Ranked 2 in Ohio. Is an Elite WR. Michigan and Michigan St are also recruiting him and too keep Richardson we will likely have to fend of many big time schools including Ohio State.
Coach K admitted that he lied. He did call out Dillon Brooks for taking the 3 at the end of their game.
Liar liar pants on fire.
“Let your good deeds outweigh the bad.”
Servpro can cleanup your water, sewer, and press conference damage.
Not really, but it was rather funny.
The McDonald’s All American game that a lot of incoming UK players will be playing in is Wednesday.
Here is a link to the McDonald’s All-American site that has all of the information you need to watch the soon to be Cats.
“You gotta get the meat.”
12 Most Believed Superstitions
12. Walking under a ladder is bad luck.
11. A black cat crossing in front front of you is bad luck.
10. Breaking a wishbone.
9. Saying bless you when someone sneezes.
8. Crossing your fingers.
7. Finding a penny heads up.
6. Don’t open an umbrella inside.
5. Bad news comes in threes
4. Four leaf clover
3. Breaking a mirror, 7 years bad luck.
2. Wishing upon a star
1. Knocking on wood.
Ryanism of the day: Another superstitious…
Ty, the Romeo Langford caller called back.
After his Sunday Easter church service Ty chose to forgive Matt and KSR for causing him a little grief over his Romeo Langford call awhile back, when he was actually correct the whole time. What a wonderful sunshiny moment.
Again, tomorrow Alex Poythress will be on KSR in the second hour. Roar for 22! Tune in at 10am EST so you are sure not to miss it! Have a great day BBN and give us a shout on the KSR After Show Hotline throughout the day today to share your thoughts @ 775-583-7483
On today’s Good Friday addition of Kentucky Sports Radio the guys are doing the show live from Memorial Coliseum on UK’s campus. They will have serveral guests including Maci Morris from the Lady UK Hoops team, her Coach Matthew Mitchell, and Swaggy Cal could be making an appearence as well. So settle in and get ready for a great KSR and we’ll discuss it all here!
Remember to CALL or TEXT the KSR After Show @ 775-583-7483 and leave us your voicemails and text messages and we will post them to the website for all of BBN to enjoy!
Matt watched the NCAA Tournament games last night at the YUM Center.
He gets mad and hates that the YUM Center is so much better than Rupp. Although scalpers where selling tickets at half price and the arena was almost half empty, because Kentucky isn’t playing there. The YUM Center seats 22,000 and Matt says there where probably only 12,000 people there, and 1/4th of them where Kentucky and Louisville fans.
Matt got the stink eye from the UofL suite.
So in true Matt fashion, he walked by as many times as possible.
Duke lost last night so the tournament is a little more enjoyable.
It still stinks that the Cats are not playing this weekend of course, but seeing Duke go down is the next best thing!
Coach K scolded Dillon Brooks of Oregon in the handshake line for, as time was running out in their game, taking a really REALLY deep three at the end that just happened to go in.
When asked about the incident during the post game press conference, coach K lied about it and said that he did not tell Brooks that he is a better player than that to show boat and shoot a three like he did. It was obvious from the video that a conversation like what was confirmed by Dillon Brooks was going on. You could clearly see Brooks apologizing to coach K. While this is a coach K thing to do, it is not his place to tell an opposing player anything like he did. It’s such a “I’m the greatest of all time and can do whatever I want” action and just makes me hate Duke even more and lose some respect for coach K for doing it, and lying about it afterwards.
Grayson Allen is a whiney butt, and Coach K is a snotface lying little goober.
Maci Morris joins Matt and Ryan on the show.
- She’s a mountain girl from Bell County.
- She feels the pressure of the NCAA Tournament but is excited and loves playing with the other girls.
- Bell County where Maci is from and Middlesboro where Matt is from are rivals.
- Bell County is completely behind Maci.
- Richie Farmer is from the same area as Maci.
- Maci’s dad and Freddie Maggard are good friends.
- Kash Daniels dad and her dad played Basketball together at East Tennessee State.
- Maci and Kash do talk and know each other.
- Her mom was a PG at Transy.
- She did not expect to come in and play as much as she has this year.
- She likes Bo Bobs Pizza.
- Maci wants fans to get out to the game tonight to give the girls energy and root them on to the Elite 8.
John Short says the women will win by 10 big’ns tonight.
Coach Mitchell may do a Big Blue Madness dance tonight if they win by 10 big’ns.
Coach Cal told Matt this morning to tell Matthew Mitchell to “Kick some ass tonight!”
Coach Mitchell challenges everyone thats on the fence to get out to Rupp tonight and help cheer on the girls!
Maci Morris was named after Kyle Macy, and wears number 4 because of Macy as well.
Coach Cal visited “said” recruit yesterday.
Whom of course from previous knowledge given to use by KSR, we know to be Marques Bolden.
The newest Mock Draft has our guys projected to get drafted at these spots.
- Jamal Murray 3 (possibly picked by the Suns or Kings)
- Skal Labissiere 14
- Tyler Ulis 20 (possibly picked by the Indiana Pacers, where I will then want season tickets.)
Tyler has not yet hired an agent. Giving the option to come back if he decides to.
Although with the new rule, players no longer need an agent to talk to NBA teams like they did in the past. So this isn’t as much of a clue that a player will be returning as it used to be.
I totally agree that anyone saying you absolutely want Tyler Ulis to come back, you are being selfish. Although, as I stated earlier this week when we discussed what next year’s team could look like, I do think if HE decides that coming back is what he wants to do and is best for him then we should not question it and welcome him back of course. For one the freshman guards that will be here next year, Fox and Monk, will most certainly be spectacular. Although depending on whether Isaiah Briscoe is back or not and if he is in the starting line up or not next year. The back up guard positions will lack a lot of depth and the talent gap will be significant. While I love Dominique Hawkins and feel like he will/could have a big role on next years team, Hawkins and Briscoe (if he returns) will be about the end of the depth line. So I dont know what Calipari would decide to do with the starting lineup if by chance Tyler did choose to return, but assuming he would be in it. That would significantly improve the depth at the guard position next year. While his draft stock most likely couldnt get much better than it is right now, and coming back could be a risk for Tyler. This team next year would have strength and depth at every postion and would be completely insane. Yet like Matt says I think the likelyhood that Ulis returns is very low, and it seems like going into the NBA this year would most likely be the best thing for him, again the following draft will be A LOT stronger. If he does come back, then everyone watch out, that would almost insure greatness for the 2016-2017 Wildcats.
Yesterday comic book geeks got mad at Matt and the guys for not knowing about Batman and Superman.
I still can’t wait to see this movie, I think I’ll see it this weekend as a matter a fact. I know Matt is not in tune with the comic book nerd community but he should know if he puts out any comment over the airwaves about Batman and Superman that they are going to come out of the woodwork and bring down Thor’s Hammer on his head for talkin trash. Matt’s Twitter mentions where pretty hilarious yesterday after the show.
Fred from Indiana is the most improved caller of the day. Totally won over the guys.
and I apologize for saying he was illogical.
Matt says there are not 5 women that would sleep with Ted Cruz so he couldn’t have 5 mistresses.
Coach Calipari joins Matt and Ryan on KSR
- He is still nauseous from the loss
- He has not watched tape or any other basketball since the loss to Indiana.
- No matter who it is to, losing and knowing the season is over hurts.
- If 4-5 guys didn’t play well then we couldn’t win and why we didn’t.
- Which also put to much pressure on the guards.
- It wasn’t about shooting, we needed big guys to step up.
- We shouldn’t have been playing IU that weekend.
- The corner three IU hit at the end of the game was devastating
- Sending all of the kids to the draft is the logical thing to do.
- There is no down time
- He was having fun telling Jonny that he is also declaring, so he can fax in the paperwork and show his kids and grandkids later on in life that he declared for the NBA draft after his freshman year.
- He told Tyler if you think your going to be here 4 year’s then dont come here, and thats when Tyler decided he’s coming here because he knew Cal believed in him.
- The low side of Tyler Ulis in the NBA is a backup PG, we all know the high side.
- There are teams in the NBA that could use Tyler as a Starting PG.
- Once he really digs into recruiting it is easier to get over losing.
- He is proud of this year’s team for all that they did.
- But it ended way to soon.
- The Cats played 5 games in 8 days.
- Cal tells everybody to get out to the womens game tonight and help get our girls to the Final Four!
Thank you Big Blue Nation for listening to KSR and joining us here for the KSR After Show! Everyone have a great Easter weekend, and go cheer on the UK womens hoops team! Like we always say, remember it could be worse, you could be a Louisville fan! Go Big Blue!
Wednesday on KSR a caller asked Matt what his favorite pro wrestler was, so I had an idea to make a bracket that we can all vote on to pick Big Blue Nations overall All-Time Favorite Pro Wrestler. Check out the bracket and vote on ROUND ONE HERE!
Man it feels like it’s been a month now since the Cats played Stony Brook in the NCAA Tournament. It’s Thursday morning and it’s only been 7 days since facing the Seawolves. We have games starting back up again tonight, and it’s just a bummer. Yet Matt and KSR are here to help us forget about the fact that Kentucky won’t be playing this weekend. If you paid any attention to KSR last night then you know there’s plenty to talk about today, and I’m pretty sure Matt is fired up about it so it should be a good show!
Remember to CALL or TEXT The KSR After Show @ 775-583-7483 and leave your voicemails and texts so we can post them for everyone to enjoy!
On Today’s KSR:
Coach Cal announced that every player on the team will declare for the draft.
Swaggy Cal at his best being the innovator that he is and paving the way for the rest of the nation. Doing this gets Kentucky back in the news after losing to Indiana. It’s another recruiting tool helping completely shed any remaining platoon reminence. He can tell these kids “see we allow everyone to declare, every year”. Then also as Matt points out, now players that want to go to the NBA but don’t get the news they want from teams like Isaiah Briscoe and Marcus Lee will be able to come back with the rest of the guys that obviously are coming back, and save them some embarrassment of individually coming back. Cal is a damn genius and marketing guru.
Captain Suntan is being sued for blatantly calling out a random guy on the radio for being the mole giving Matt info on UofL. The guy, Scott Jennings who Matt does not know is suing the radio station, Captain Suntan, and Mike Rutherford.
This is hilarious and just continues to show the incompetency surrounding that program. Many updates to come!
Bangs and Matty Bangs!
Sounds like the title to a new, New Jersey reality show.
“Worry about your Bologna hair!”
Along with Matty Bangs, this should be put on a t-shirt. Get on it Jared Lorenzen.
Katina Powell and STD are now Facebook friends.
She searched for The Dude and friend requested him. Like Shannon said she must have heard about his booty shaking contest. Trying to supplement her income I’m sure.
Katt Williams got choked out by a 15 year old kid.
Here is an article from TMZ explaining what went down.
Technically UNC didn’t violate an NCAA rule, but because it’s so bad they are going to reprimand them anyway. That’s why it’s taking so long.
Matt has said in the past that if UNC makes it to the Final Four that there will be more attention brought on what’s going on at UNC. So maybe we will learn more soon.
- Is finally over the IU loss.
- He didn’t like the 16 turnovers though.
- Everyone better wake up and smell the roses and quit bashing Cal!
- He’s all over Facebook.
Tom Crean asked the NCAA after beating Kentucky to go to the Sweet 16 if they could cut down the nets…as Kansas and UConn where warming up for their game that was about to begin.
This is the most absurd and so Tom Crean and Indiana thing to do. While I do believe Matt and his source, I wish they would have let them do it just so we would have solid hilarious video proof.
Sometimes people just don’t understand the decision these kids are trying to make.
For one, to those of you that seem to not know. The rule has changed and the players now are allowed to declare for the draft and come back as many times as they want! It no longer means that because they declare that they can’t return to the team. So guys please stop it, BBN looks very ignorant when some of you go off on these uninformed tangents. Two, none of you know what’s going on in these kids lives, what their dreams are, or what’s best for them so please stop pretending like you do. Yes voice your opinion freely, but don’t belittle these kids or coaches that only have their best interests in mind.
If the new draft rule in place this year was in place last year, Dakari Johnson would have probably been on this years team.
If Katina Powell messages Shannon on FB and wants to come watch Fuller House with him, would he do it?
Shannon says he would, would you?
Chris Stapleton is having a free concert at Johnson County High School.
The Kentucky Football spring game is being televised on the SEC Network this year.
The blue/white game will start at noon, April 16th, on the SEC Network.
Evan was a logical Indiana fan.
In Concord NC a man was arrested for not returning a Freddie got Fingered VHS tape 16 years ago to a Blockbuster Video that doesn’t exsist.
Uh oh, you know all of our minds just went bananas trying to figure out what we failed to return to Blockbuster or anywhere else. Matt admitted that he still has Species 2.
Tom Crean and Calipari apparently had a falling out over Trey Lyles, but now they’re back on good terms.
Tai Wynyard and Isaac Humphries are to young to enter the draft, so they are the only two players that will not declare.
Whaaaat? That’s a bummer, Matt says Batman v Superman is getting terrible reviews.
I was so excited about this movie, hopefully it’s just a bunch of DC haters and it really is good. This just bums me out.
Tune in to KSR tomorrow at 10am EST where the gang will be at the practice facility on the UK campus and will have some special guests.
Have a great day BBN! Bangs! Bangs!